Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Through a Glass Wetly


I shot this on Monday at about 11:15 a.m. using a zoom through through the window of my office in the southwest wing on the second floor of City Hall.

There was a lull in the rain at that moment.

The Pasadena Robinson Memorial, seen through the branches of a magnolia tree, is highlighted with a splash of pink. The peach trees, in full blossom, commemorate the state of the Robinsons' birth: Georgia.

The bronze sculptures by Ralph Helmick, John Outterbridge and Stuart Schechter commemorate the lives of Jackie and Mack Robinson. If you've never taken a closer look, stop by sometime because the entire public art installation is extraordinary.

John Outterbridge is one of America’s most prominent African American artists who has another piece of public art in Pasadena: "Window with Ball." Ralph Helmick and Stuart Schechter are well-known artists from the east coast with commissions across the country.

4 comments:

Diana said...

Wonderful photo, Ann! I do city overview bus tours for Pasadena Heritage and I always like to bring my groups up close to these monumental heads so they can read the text and see the images carved into them -- there's so much there to learn about Mack and Jackie Robinson there and it's so cleverly done.

pasadenapio said...

I'm glad to hear that, Diana. A lot of people don't know to go to the back side, so they don't know what they're missing!

Cafe Observer said...

If I were taking this shot, I wood wanna see how it looks with your window as the frame.

Petrea Burchard said...

I didn't know either, until I got up close and snooped around the back of those big heads. That sounds like a photo op, now that you mention it.