Saturday, April 25, 2009

Memphis -- Day Six

Yesterday was somewhat bittersweet because it was our last day in Memphis, Tennessee.

After spending a leisurely morning, we headed to Beale Street, one of the most historic areas of Memphis.

There's a walk of fame on Beale Street dedicated to all the musicians who helped define the Memphis Blues sound.


In more modern times, they could have easily tried to turn Beale Street into something like Universal CityWalk, but thankfully they left it alone in all its glory.



A. Schwab dry goods store has been on Beale Street since 1876. Its motto is "If you can't find it at A. Schwab's, you're probably better off without it!"


We had lunch here:


And here's the daily Memphis ceiling shot, taken in King's Palace. Several of these distinctive pillars separate the well-trod wooden floors from the stamped tin ceiling.

After we left Beale Street, we drove around town for one last look at our new favorite city, then headed to the airport.

I took one last ceiling shot while we were in flight, and this will be the end of the ceiling shot series for now because I'll return to my role as Pasadena's PIO on Monday.


The series began our first day in Memphis when we went to dinner at a restaurant with an atrium ceiling and I couldn't resist trying to capture what I saw. The next day, at the Peabody Hotel, I happened to look up and was enamored by the chandelier and the lovely ceiling from which it was hanging. The ceiling series was born, and it will be reborn someday, perhaps during another sojourn.

It's good to be back!

3 comments:

Cafe Pasadena said...

You r now qualified to open your own Memphis tour guide biz.

Petrea Burchard said...

I've just caught up on your Memphis posts. I haven't seen a Piggly Wiggly since I was a kid!

You must be exhausted.

JCK said...

I'm catching up with all of your wonderful photographs and anecdotes, too. It looks like you had a great trip!


I love those Piggly Wiggly signs. Remind me to show you my t-shirt. They remind me of back south, most especially South Carolina, where I've spent many a summer on the beaches.